Lunacy Lunacy

Approve.

JDawg00100 responds:

Would it be officially weird if I named my next song Echo? :P

my friends are no help my friends are no help

My favorite part was the last crash cymbal

johnfn responds:

Believe it or not but that was a mistake but then I heard it and laughed a lot so I kept it in.

We Love Bavaria We Love Bavaria

Hello from Berlin! (for now :P)

Man, this is by far my favorite track from this year's NGAUC. It is consistently the only track that puts a smile on my face every single time I hear it. You truly are a master of genres! :D

I just really love all the attention to detail you put into your tracks. While it may be somewhat short, the meticulous attention given to the velocities of every note and the background ambience of a happy Bavarian village just win me over. Great work and good luck in the competition! Not that you'll need it. :)

UNHOLY CACE UNHOLY CACE

Omg if this is what it takes to motivate you to write awesome awesome music I should have more birthdays :D:D

THANK YOU!!

BIRTHDAYS ALL YEAR!

Greatest Moment Greatest Moment

Great catchy song! Its mood sounds like something I would love to write :D

Moments like 0:57 and 1:56 are just super catchy and fun, and even though the mastering was from a preset, it sounds nice and clean! If I could suggest one thing to improve this song, it would be that the way the instruments swing is inconsistent. Sometimes you have straight eighth notes, sometimes they swing slightly, sometimes they swing more drastically. But overall, super bright and catchy song!

BlueOceans responds:

It's funny that you say that because I made a song that's similar to this for round 2 of ngmt and LSD said that he thought it was your song.

I don't know much about the swing of instruments so I'm glad you told it to me. I should do research on that.

Thank you for reviewing the song! I agree, it's very catchy!

ZSPOOKI ZOMBIE HOUSE PARTY ZSPOOKI ZOMBIE HOUSE PARTY

i too enjoy consuming parties

SIGNS YOU MAY BE A ZSPOOKI ZOMBIE INCLUDE

The Prodigal The Prodigal

Did NOT see this coming! It's like the rapid bluegrass banjo meets the Wild West drums in the first half, and then at 2:08 (which I agree with LSD is the best part) it transitions into something foot-tappingly awesome with beautiful harmonies, too! The four of you have excellent voices. You should really sing more often! If you get into finals you better do some barbershop quartet stuff :P

Two things, though - why no downloads? And that very last bit in the banjo ending seems a little... off. Then again, I don't know much about how banjos are played. :P *plays random chords*

bassfiddlejones responds:

haha, yes! That's what we were going for. I'm happy you liked the track man, we do have plans to sing more often. So, no downloads because I think we might end up eventually using this track for another project under a different name, so we haven't decided how we're going to approach the downloads issue yet. And the banjo was doing what it's supposed, not sure what sounded off. Thanks for following us through this competition man, it's always good to get your reviews. I'll have to hop over and repay the favor once I've got a little more time!

Fever Dream Fever Dream

I can't believe it's gotten to the point where LucidShadowDreamer uploads an improvisation, I see that it's 13 minutes long, and I think 'huh, that's kinda short'.

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

I know, right?
The other one is a bit longer though. But still not sure if I'm going to upload it yet :p
(To be fair, I did have a high fever though, which is also probably why the ending comes so suddenly).

T-Logic - The Ritual T-Logic - The Ritual

You truly are the master of Garageband ambience and atmosphere! :D You should be writing ambient background music for a game. Seriously.

That intro sets things off really ominously! Songs like this are really good at showing atonality at its best, since the atonality is an integral part to the atmosphere of the piece! I love the way the pads mesh together to - WHOA! Drums?! Where did those come from? And then the track takes a completely different direction from what I expected, into an atonal groove over a spooky background! I honestly thought this would be another one of your masterful ambiences, but it grew into huge, energetic climax of intense synths! Niiiice. :)

Compositionally, I think this song is awesome. Sure, the intro dragged on a bit compared to the high-intensity levels of the second half of the song, but I am loving that ending. All the different layers, the suspenseful melodies, it all just works and turns into what I think is my favorite buildup ever from you! :D Can I also mention that I love it when you write melodic transitions? Because I love it when you do that. I think you had a great one in Terrified, and the transition from 2:34-2:38 is just so cool.

If I were to nitpick a bit of stuff, I'd say that your sound design on synthesizers was amazing. However, your sound design on some of your more ethnic instruments wasn't as amazing - the plucky instrument introduced at 2:04 (mandolin...?) that also plays during the latter parts of the song plays a bit too fast and a bit too uniform, so instead of adding to the ambience, it sort of distracts the listener and becomes a little jarring. Same with the monotony of the instrument that comes in at 2:19 (bagpipes...?). It's just a little too shrill to justify it in that section. However, I will admit that I like all of the effects that the different instruments added to the ending, since it was just this giant clutterfunk of amazing sounds that were dissonant but somehow blended so well with each other!

Great job! Amazing buildup, synths, and props for not being as atonal or ambient as the intro led me to believe XD Keep it up! :)

TaintedLogic responds:

Thanks again for the reviews! Actually, this wasn't made in Garageband. I believe I mentioned in the description that this is going to be my last FL track for a while. In fact, I might break that rule soon...maybe even today! :O

Anyway, thanks for your compliments regarding the atmosphere and pads.

"WHOA! Drums?!" --> exactly the sort of reaction I wanted! XD

I'm glad you liked the composition. I agree about the slow-paced intro. Also "favorite build-up ever..." --> that means a lot to me! Thanks! :D I was also really happy with the melodic transitions myself, so I'm glad you found them suitable as well. ;)

"If I were to nitpick a bit of stuff, I'd say that your sound design on synthesizers was amazing" --> Haha, am I reading this right? Because you say you're going to nitpick some stuff, and then give me this otherwise unambiguous compliment. XD Thanks, though.

I see what you mean about the "mandolin" (it's actually just the bass transposed several octaves up) and the "bagpipes" (actually an Indian reed). I suppose I was trying to be at least a little jarring, but maybe I should've faded them in.

"giant clutterfunk of amazing sounds that were dissonant but somehow blended so well with each other" --> that's a great way of describing it! Thanks!

Again, I'm really happy with all this positive feedback, LunacyEcho! Reviews like these really give me a self-confidence boost. When I go to the gym later this afternoon, for once I'm not going to worry that people are judging me! :D

T-Logic - Solitude T-Logic - Solitude

Ooh, a calm, melancholy jazz song. How tonal! :D

First impressions - nice chords! I can't believe I'm saying this, but love the brass! It may be Garageband MIDI, but the way you use it really accentuates the mood of the piece. The drums I also really enjoy. So much panning and detail! That's an auto-A in my book :P Sax solos are another one of my weaknesses... you cater to me so well, even though you weren't trying to! (I think.)

So this is a song filled with an extremely relaxing ambience and masterfully crafted atmosphere, topped off with a few smooth sax solos! Nice. For you, the piece is quite tonal! I only heard it slip into a bit of atonality around the solos, especially in places around 2:00. Arrangement-wise, it progresses a little slowly, especially around 2:10-2:30, but overall, it feels like it's meant more to be background music anyways. I mean, you're so good at ambient, even your jazz is ambient! :D

Your production is top-notch, as usual. I feel like your music tech class has to consist entirely of you guys learning how to mix in Garageband 24/7, because this is so beyond any of the capabilities I thought Garageband had. Crystal-clear!

Nitpicks - although this is quite ambient, I would've preferred some more melodies. Maybe just a melodic motif, if you don't want to cram the ambient music with those dreaded tones! Currently, the most melodic material you have is the solos, and I just feel like the piece could use a bit more. :P

Great piece overall! Calm, relaxing, and a VERY fitting title. :D

TaintedLogic responds:

Thanks so much for the review, LE!

"How tonal" --> lol

Thanks for your compliments on the chords and brass (although honestly I'm surprised that ANYONE complimented me on the brass). I worked hard on the drums, so I'm glad you liked them, and the panning was simply a rash attempt to counteract the limited effect of Garageband's horrible parametric EQ. :D As for the sax solos, that was something I fixed just before I uploaded this. Originally, I also had flutes and horns in there, but I decided that the pace of that section didn't fit the rest of the piece so I gave all of the solos to the sax. Good to know it paid off! ^^

Thanks for praising the atmosphere and production. I really tried to create a soothing atmosphere here. I agree with the slow progression and, yes, I'd like to believe this qualifies as "ambient jazz." ^^

"More melodies" --> yeah, I agree. I made this back when I wasn't really good at crafting melodies (heck, I'm still not that good at it, haha).

Anyway, thanks very much for all these reviews, LE! It really makes my day! ^_^